This is the upgrade taco salad has been waiting for! Eat well = Feel well. The connection is well documented. Food is medicine. This dish will be a heart positive addition to your menu repertoire.
Forget the tasteless Iceberg lettuce and the fattening ground beef of the past. Grilling low-fat chicken and fresh veggies is the way to go! All of the taste with even more health benefits.
This version of the old classic replaces the lettuce with a peppery arugula, higher fat beef gives way to leaner chicken, it removes canned corn for grilled corn and tosses in a tangy lime vinaigrette. Adding in tortilla chips, especially lime Tostitos, gives it an extra crunch and a bit of a zing!
What you will need
2 tbsp. lime juice
2 tbsp. vinegar
¾ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup olive oil
1 cup cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
¾ cup diced zucchini
1 ripe avocado (chopped)
¼ cup red onion (chopped)
1 jalapeño (cut finely)
2 pounds skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins
1 large ear corn
5 cups Arugula
1 cup Lime Tostitos chips (broken)
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
What to do – Step by Step
- Set the grill to medium/high and preheat.
- Combine salt & pepper, lime juice, vinegar in a large bowl; whisk in oil.
- Add tomatoes, jalapeño, zucchini, avocado, and onion. Set aside.
- Sprinkle chicken with a little salt and pepper.
- Grab the grill rack and oil it so the chicken doesn’t stick.
- Grill the chicken until 4 to 5 minutes per side. (make sure there is no pink left in center)
- Char the corn on the grill, 2 to 4 minutes total – rotating to heat all sides.
- Grab a clean cutting board and bring the chicken and the corn once fully grilled.
- Remove corn from the cob and cut the chicken into chunks.
- Add the corn and chicken to the tomato mixture. Gently fold in the arugula, tortilla chips, and cilantro.
- To serve you may want to garnish the plate with a larger sprig of cilantro and a few whole Lime Tostitos. Then place serving portion on top. Voila! Ready to serve!
This is a dish that is easy to prepare, great for dinners or at parties. It is low in calories ringing in at only 450 calories per serving, 28 grams of fat (4g saturated), 27 grams of protein, and only 5 grams of sugar. It is high in Vitamin C, Folate and Vitamin A.
For more great healthy recipes – please check back!
Dr. Jason Kaster, D.C.
Chiropractor in Ft Myers, FL, and Naples, FL
Chiropractic care is a safe, alternative treatment when applied appropriately. Chiropractic treatments help in dealing with the symptoms of many conditions. When combined with proper nutrition you have found the winning combination. Are you going to wait for your symptoms to be felt, or are you going to prevent it as soon as possible?
Dr. Jason B. Kaster, a chiropractor in Fort Myers and Naples, can help you and your family achieve their optimal health.