Why is neck stiffness so common?
Neck stiffness is usually associated with weakness following overuse resulting in neck muscle tension and headaches. A great example of this is office work – sitting at a desk or working and leaning over for long periods will aggravate the neck musculature. The muscles become inflamed, and tight as a result. Trauma, such as a sprain and/or strain can result from a motor vehicle accident, sports, or even going to the gym and overdoing it.
Tips to Combat Neck Pain and Stiffness
Hydration Drinking plenty of water during daily is vital to ensure that you stay well hydrated. If you are properly hydrated, the discs between the vertebrae in your neck will retain a healthy amount of fluid, making them stronger and more flexible when moving. You need to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day to remain hydrated. In fact, staying hydrated prevents deterioration of the cervical discs and lessens the episodes of neck pain.
Watch the way you hold your mobile phone Using your neck and shoulder to hold your mobile or landline phone could lead to muscle strain. Other habits that can stress the neck include texting or browsing the internet constantly looking down at the device.
Here are a few workarounds!
• Use hands-free devices
• If you need to text or browse, it’s better to hold the mobile phone at a high angle to prevent your neck from looking down.
• Do neck stretching during work hours
See Your Chiropractor Regularly Chiropractic care is an effective treatment for different types of pain and illnesses. Here are some signs that you should book an appointment with a chiropractor:
• The neck pain or stiffness has been there for days and hasn’t improved.
• You are in deep, agonizing pain whenever you turn your head.
• Over-the-counter pain relievers aren’t helping in reducing neck pain or stiffness.
• You feel numb in your hands and wrists.
• Your sore neck started after a recent car accident.
• Stiff muscles in the neck occur when waking in the morning and worsen throughout the day.
Massage Therapy Massage therapy can help to focus on your trigger points to help release tension in the areas where pain is intense, such as the neck. Trigger point massage is designed to treat the source of the pain through the use of isolated pressure and release. It is recognized as an effective stiff neck treatment to control pain and other forms of chronic injuries.
Stretch it Out Stretching exercises of the neck can help to improve the flexibility, circulation, and strength. One of the recommended forms of neck exercises is the chin tuck exercise to prevent tightness.
Check Your Posture The average human head weighs, on average, 11 lbs. That weight is added the more you lean forward in a slouched position. The more your slouch the more the extra weight pulls on your neck, head, shoulders, and even down into your back. If you are experiencing tension, stiffness, or pain in the neck and shoulders, make sure your posture is aligned.
Chiropractic Treatment for Alleviation of Neck Pain and Stiffness
Regular visits to a chiropractor can help you reach your desired goals to effectively manage muscle pain and reduce occurrences for both short and long-term relief.
Cervical manipulation is usually performed on the joints of the neck using only noninvasive hands-on pressure. The objective of a neck adjustment is to improve spine mobility and restore range of motion. Patients who undergo chiropractic treatment will notice an improvement in their neck movement when turning or tilting the head, as well as decreased pain, swelling, and/or stiffness.
In addition to manual spinal manipulation, the Office of Kaster Chiropractic and Associates offers:
- Traction/Spinal Decompression Therapy for neck and back injuries that are the result of disc herniations or nerve root impingements.
- Physiotherapy including ultrasound, high volt, and interferential current help to reduce tension and inflammation.
- Massage therapy to help with tension, myofascial release, taping, and rock blade technique to reduce scar tissue and adhesions.
Chiropractic, Nutrition, and Pain Relief in Ft Myers, Florida
Chiropractic care is a safe, alternative treatment when applied appropriately. Chiropractic treatments help in dealing with the symptoms of many conditions. Are you going to wait for your symptoms to be felt, or are you going to prevent it as soon as possible?