Chiropractic Care during Pregnancy is safe and effective
Pregnancy is a beautiful thing – but there’s a side effect that can be straining, painful, and downright annoying. We’re talking about low back pain, both lumbar back pain and posterior pelvic pain. An estimated 50% to 80% of women experience low back pain the last trimester of their pregnancy stage. This pain should not be ignored.
Many of the traditionally prescribed medical treatments, such as drugs, steroid injections, or surgery procedures, may pose unfavorable effects to the present condition as well as to the fetus.
So, how can expectant mothers with severe low back pain combat this problem?
Chiropractic care is the perfect solution recommended by researchers who studied its beneficial effects.
According to a study published in the Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health, chiropractic treatment, including spinal manipulation, is safe and effective for reducing lower back pain intensity in pregnant women:
- 94% of the pregnant women demonstrated significant improvement in their lower back pain.
- There was substantial pain relief within an average of 4.5 days, after an average of 1.8 chiropractic visits.
- On a pain scale of 1- 10, the overall average pain score decreased from 5.9 to 1.5 at the end of care.
- No adverse effects were reported in any of the cases.
So what is the role of a chiropractor in a woman’s prenatal and postnatal care? Here we answer some of the frequently asked questions relating to the chiropractic approach to maternity pain.
What are the advantages of chiropractic treatment during pregnancy?
- The foremost advantage of seeking the professional help of a chiropractor during pregnancy is to improve the expectant mother’s pelvic balance and alignment. Is this possible? The chiropractor suggests a series of routine exercises that are focused on stretching and manipulating the pelvic area to make room for the growing baby inside the womb.
- Lessen the chances of having a breech baby because undergoing chiropractic care assures a higher percentage that the baby will move in a correct position before birth.
- Guarantee easy labor and a safe delivery because the proper positioning of the baby is already achieved once the expectant mother applies the correct techniques to improve pelvic balance and alignment.
Is chiropractic care necessary after giving birth?
After giving birth, regardless the nature of birth (either normal delivery or C-section), the pelvic area changes, sometimes making a simple task like walking, nursing the baby, bottle feeding, or even sleeping unbearable due to some level of pain or discomfort.
With the help of a chiropractor, restoration of the woman’s pelvic balance can be achieved through a series of exercises, manipulation, and stretching. Another great benefit of undergoing chiropractic treatment after pregnancy is the mobilization of the woman’s thoracic region which is affected due to various positions while doing motherly duties like breastfeeding, bottle feeding, or rocking the baby.
What other concerns should you consider before seeking a chiropractor?
Before you seek the help of a chiropractor, it would be best to confirm with your insurance company whether this type of treatment is covered or not. Also, ask your chiropractor if they have special programs for pregnant women and make sure they have adequate facilities to accommodate expectant moms, such as the appropriate tables.
What are the common conditions felt during and after pregnancy that can be treated by chiropractor care?
- Sciatica pain due to pregnancy
- Pelvic pain and hip pain caused by walking, sitting, and/or sleeping
- Postnatal mid-back pain resulting from bottle feeding, breastfeeding, or rocking the baby to sleep
Fort Myers Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy
If you’re afraid that taking medications will do more harm than good to your unborn child, try chiropractic treatment. Why? Chiropractic care is a drug-free therapy to treat any level of back pain. It’s also a natural solution for a safe delivery of your precious little one.
Furthermore, if giving birth has brought so much pain on your pelvic area or mid-back and causes disruption while doing the simplest day-to-day motherly duties, consult Fort Myers Chiropractor and Naples Chiropractor, Jason B. Kaster, and let him restore your pelvic area’s normal function just like before and live life comfortably without pain.
Visit us! Schedule today at our Fort Myers office.